If so, you could be suffering from a muddled memory. We all get it from time to time and it's usually caused by stress, a hectic schedule, and too little sleep. Sadly, memory loss is also associated with the normal aging process. That doesn't mean you can't fight back! Here are some tips to help your memory:
- Physical Exercise - You knew I was going to include that one! I love exercise for so many reasons but in this case it increases neurotransmitter levels, brings more oxygen and nutrients to the brain, decreases stress, and also stimulates the memory centers in your brain.
- Healthy Eating - Your brain is like the rest of your body. It needs good nutrients to function. Think whole grains, veggies, fruit, lean protein, and healthy fats such as olive oil and avocado.
- Socialize - Get out there and mingle! Studies have found that the more you socialize, the more areas of your brain are stimulated. However, avoid consuming too much alcohol and stay away from negative people. You know who they are. After seeing them you feel drained, have a headache, and need a nap!
- Sleep - Speaking of naps, studies have found that a regular sleep routine drastically improves our memory function.
- Train that Brain - Activities such as puzzles, learning new things, reading, playing games, and playing a musical instrument all stimulate the brain and improve memory. I personally like the free games on Facebook such as Candy Crush or Farm Hero Saga. They are fun but they also make you think. The website, www.lumosity.com, is also a great place to test and train your brain.
- Decrease Stress - Do whatever you can to reduce your stress. Take baths, nap, meditate, do yoga, say no, and quit multitasking. The latter one really wreaks havoc on our bodies and our minds. The more you chill, the better you will feel!
Try some of these tips and you should see an improvement in your memory. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find my keys.