So what’s the big deal if you do not sleep for a least 7 hour most night? Research has shown that adults who do not get enough sleep are more likely to suffer for chronic medical conditions that include obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and poor mental function.
It may seem easier said than done. Here are some tips to help you get a better night sleep. Make a family routine and plan your evening to allow ample time to get ready for bed and asleep by the necessary time to get 7 hours of sleep. Further tips to help aid in a good night sleep include:
· Avoid eating 2-3 hours before bedtime
· Avoid alcohol, nicotine & caffeine before bedtime
· Avoid exercise 2-3 hours before bedtime
· Turn off all electronics 1-2 hours before bedtime
· Avoid checking email or working prior to bedtime
· Keep your bedroom cool and relaxing
· If your partner disrupts your sleep, consider sleeping in separate rooms
· Consider aroma therapy lotions or a white noise machine to aid in sleeping
If you have tried all of the above for a week and are still struggling to sleep 7 hours night, talk to your doctor about medication supplements or a sleep study. Your sleep is essential to your health! So stay healthy and take care of yourself!