If you have children, I urge you to read to them. There are many benefits:
- Building a strong relationship.
- Teaching them that reading is fun.
- Opening them to new experiences in life.
- Developing speech, language, and communication skills.
- Developing critical thinking skills.
- Improving their academic aptitude over the long run.
If your kids are older you can still encourage them to read. I have some friends who read the same books as their kids. Series such as Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and Twilight all work well for this purpose. Once you have read the book you can discuss it with your children. You can also rent the movies for even more fun.
Yep, reading is wonderful and something (free!) and easy you can do with your kids. Why not hit your library this week and pick out a book?