I was talking to my brother-in-law the other day about tea. He is trying to give up soda pop and is using tea as a substitute. So far he has not been successful because he hates the taste of tea. This surprised me. I drink a ton of tea in the winter months and have always found it to be quite tasty. Like most things, it is probably an acquired taste.
There are many health benefits to drinking tea that might get you motivated to sip a cup:
- It hydrates the body just like water.
- It has a soothing effect on the mind.
- It can warm you up (if you drink hot tea) or cool you down (if you drink iced tea).
- Green tea has antioxidants that fight cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's, and heart disease.
- Rooibos tea has flavonoids that also fight cancer and can boost your bone density.
- Chamomile tea has a calming effect on the mind, helps with sleep, and also has antioxidants.
- Hibiscus tea can lower your blood pressure.
- Dandelion tea boosts your bone density.
- Echinacea tea can fight colds.
- Regular black or white tea can counteract the negative effects of smoking or second-hand smoke.
In our culture tea tends to be the beverage folks turn to during times of stress or illness. It can be so much more than that, though. I urge you to give tea a chance. You may find a new and healthy drink!!