Summer means longer days and more fun outside. If you have kids, you want to avoid the dreaded “I’m BORED!” Here are some affordable ideas to make your summer a little more fun!
· Cut a glow stick and pour the contents into a bottle of bubbles. Enjoy glow in the dark bubble fun.
· Purchase a bunch of colored sponges from a discount store or dollar store. Cut up into hand size pieces, place them in small buckets (plastic sand buckets work great), fill with water, give one to each child and allow for a reusable and quick water fight!
· Old fashioned water balloon battles are always fun as well. A unique twist is to hide them randomly on your property to allow them to find them first to use for a water battle.
· Make a home-made obstacle course using things you already have at home. Turn 10 times on a bat, stack a pile of empty containers into a tower, hula hoop, jump rope, crawl under a table, hop over a safe optical, fill a container using a tablespoon of water at a time, add food into it (eat an entire carrot, or any fruit or vegetable) before moving on. Ideas are endless with this one.
· Go on a scavenger hunt. Grab a stack of notecards and put simple everyday items on each one. If your kids are older you can use riddles or word scrambles to make it more challenging. Send kids as individuals or teams to see who can return first with all of the requested items.
· Build an outdoor fort using only household items. If you’re brave enough, camp out for the evening.
· Go on a family bike ride, it’s even more fun when the trip ends at a fun location, local pool or ice cream stand.
· Plant a family garden, have everyone help plant and maintain it.
· Make a large hop-scotch board on your driveway and play.
· Set up a penny toss game with recyclable cans and containers.
· Have a family picnic for lunch or dinner. Let the kids choose the meal and pack the basket.
Be creative, have fun, be open to ideas. Share some of your ideas with us!
Click to set custom HTML