Your thyroid gland is located just below your Adam's apple and produces two hormones (T3 and T4) which control your metabolism. When production of these hormones is impaired, a low thyroid issue results.
What are the signs of hypothyroidism?
- Weight gain
- Heavy periods or no periods at all
- Skin problems
- Hair loss
- Low sex drive
- Brain fog
- Inability to handle extreme temperatures
If you suspect that you may have this disease, call your doctor. They can run a simple blood test and can put you on a prescription hormone to correct the problem. There are other things you can do to support your thyroid and these include:
- Get plenty of sleep
- Manage your stress by taking plenty of breaks and doing things you love
- Exercise but not to the point of exhaustion
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Don't smoke
- Eat lots of fruits and veggies
- Avoid eating sugar, processed foods, and fast foods
- Drink plenty of water
Your thyroid is an important organ that impacts every other area of your body. Take care of it for a healthy and happy life!