Many women believe that as long as they continue to see their gynecologist and get routine PAP smears, they are covered. It is important to know that PAP smears DO NOT test for ovarian cancer.
Signs of ovarian cancer may be different for every woman. It is important to know your body and trust when you notice changes. These signs may not be related to ovarian cancer and could be related to a noncancerous condition. Ovarian cysts have very similar symptoms. It is important to work with your medical provider to determine the cause of your symptoms.
· Feeling full quickly
· Abdominal or Pelvic pain
· Needing to urinate more frequently
· Changes in bowel movements
· Increasing abdominal size
· Weight loss
· Feeling tired or low energy
Higher risk of ovarian cancer occurs in women who are:
· Older than 55 years of age
· Post-menopausal women with ovarian cysts
· Did NOT give birth to a child
· Family history of ovarian cancer
· Personal history of breast, colorectal or endometrial cancer
If you feel have any of these symptoms, talk to your doctor about ovarian cancer being a potential problem.