It may seem like a silly word, but once you discover it, you will love it! Uber (EW-brr) is an on-demand car service offered in larger metropolitan areas using a smart phone. It uses a dispatch software to send the nearest driver to your location. If it is not currently in your area, it may be coming soon. Additionally, it is great for areas in which you travel. Uber contracts drivers who use their own vehicle, and the drivers work on whatever schedule they are available; a portion of their earnings are provided to Uber. When you request a car service through the app, you will be notified of who your driver is with a picture and what kind of vehicle they are driving.
One perk of using Uber is that you request a car using your smart phone. It will tell you exactly when your car will arrive and the route it is coming to you. No more waiting in bad weather to hail a taxi. No cash is exchanged between you and the driver. All transactions are completed via the credit card you put on file when you registered.
You can sign up for Uber on their website, or download the app to your smartphone. After you download then free app to your smart phone, you can sign in with your username and password. When you tap the app, it will have you choose the type of car service you want to pick you up. There are 5 types of car services, but not all are available in every area:
· Black Car – This is Uber’s original service. Choosing Black Car will send a high-end sedan to your location, with seating for up to 4 people.
· Taxi – This calls a taxi that has an agreement with Uber. These taxis are much like any normal taxi, except that you can pay through the app.
· UberX – This sends an everyday car to your location with seating for up to four people. This is Uber’s budget option.
· SUV – This will send an SUV to your location with seating for up to 6 people. This is significantly more expensive than the Black Car service.
· LUX – This will send a high-end luxury car to your location with seating for up to four people. This is Uber’s most expensive service.
The next step is to tap the map to show where you would like to be picked up, or enter the address into “pickup location” space. You then enter the address or name of your destination. The app will tell you how long until a driver is available and the estimated cost of travel.
Once you confirm your ride, you are sent a photo and name of driver and the type of vehicle. Your ride will arrive to pick you up and take you to your destination. If you change your mind and cancel after five minutes, you will be charged a fee. Once you reach your destination, you simply say “thank you” and get out of the car. All transactions are handled through the app, so no cash is necessary. There is no need to tip, although it is appreciated. If you use the taxi service, a 20% tip is automatically added, but can be changed in the billing section on the website.
My husband and I have used this service on many occasions in several different cities and have had no problems. We appreciate the convenience and service!
Click to set custom HTML