· Visit! When mom is home by herself for days with only an infant to talk to, they long for adult communication! If you can’t visit, give them a call or a text to let them know you are thinking about them.
· Help! Offer to watch the child while she takes a nice long hot shower or a nap. Do a couple loads of laundry. Fill the dishwasher. Run a vacuum. A little bit goes a long way!
· Feed! While you are visiting, bring lunch with you. Moms do not often prepare healthy meals for themselves. It is also extremely helpful to bring a couple of prepared dishes that only need to be put in the oven for dinners. Further, while you are out gathering your groceries, pick up some essentials for your new Mom friend.
· Pet Care! Unfortunately the family pet may be feeling neglected. Give the family pet some much needed attention, go for a walk, clean-up the pen or yard.
· Photograph! Families with new babies are often exhausted and forget to take a bunch of pictures. Often moms are the ones taking the pictures, so they are rarely in them. Take pictures of the baby, siblings, mom and dad and if possible, the whole family. Share them with the new mom in electronic format and have your favorite printed and framed for her.
· Babysit! There is nothing like being a prisoner in your own home. New parents are often afraid to leave their little one behind or too proud to ask for help. Schedule an evening to watch the kids for a few hours while new mom and dad get a chance to go out and reconnect.
· Pamper! Surprise new mom with a little bit of pampering. At this point usually a hot, uninterrupted shower is all they long for, but go one step further and make them a hair appointment with their usual stylist, book a 1 hour massage or schedule a mani-pedi for her. She deserves it!
Give your new mom friends a much needed hand at the time they need it most! They will appreciate it and one day return the favor!