I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's not healthy to stifle stress and emotions! When you are feeling bad about something, you need to find a safe way to vent it. If you don't, you'll end up embarrassing yourself in public as those overwhelming feelings pour out of you (and sometimes on to others).
So how does one safely vent emotions?
- Write out what you're feeling in a journal. Then if you want, you can tear the page up or burn it.
- Talk to someone about it. This can be a family member or friend that you trust, or a counselor.
- Punch a pillow or beat one with a tennis racket.
- Yell in your house or car when you're alone.
- Over-exaggerate sighing out loud (also when alone...if you do it around people they'll think you're nuts).
- If you're creative, try to let it out through some form of artwork or music.
- Acknowledge what you are feeling instead of stifling it.
I would love to hear how you handle your emotions. Feel free to send comments.