This week, I have made an effort to do a daily good deed. In general, I am a good person, and help others as much as I can. I work in healthcare, helping people is what I do for a career, but this time I consciously thought about what good deed I did by the end of each day. Surprisingly, I made me feel a lot better about myself.
Good deeds benefit both the recipient and the provider. Often when someone is the recipient of a good deed, they in turn provide a good deed for someone else. Imagine this great big, helpful world of people!
Good deeds can be quick or long term, free or expensive depending on your ability. Good deeds can be for strangers or people you know well. Obviously the more we can do good deeds for others, the better world we will all live in.
Here are some ideas:
· Make a double batch of a meal and deliver it to an elderly neighbor or neighbor with a new baby
· Volunteer your time at a local shelter (human or pet)
· Buy coffee or food for the next person in line
· Allow someone to go ahead of you (in line at a store or merging on a highway)
· Donate to a local charity (food bank, animal shelter, medical center, emergency services)
· Give a friend a break and take their children for a fun day
· Buy a bouquet of flowers, put a note on them that says “just to brighten your day” and leave them at a random house in your neighborhood
· Donate blood
· Volunteer at your local hospital
· Bake a large batch of cookies and deliver to your local fire or EMS department
· Donate gently used clothing and household goods to your local shelter (preferably a not for profit organization)
· Help an elderly neighbor by mowing their lawn or weeding their flower beds
· Help someone who is lost, if you can manage the time, take them to their destination rather than giving directions
· Write a note to a friend that is single and send it in the mail
· Buy a “just because” gift for a friend that has been going through a rough time
· Help your parents with a good house cleaning
· Offer to pick up food (take out or grocery store) when you are going for a neighbor
Everyone could use a good deed, just pay attention to their needs and help when you can!
Click to set custom HTML