Diet soda can be sweetened with different artificial sweeteners. There is a lot of research on each of these but it all appears to be inconclusive. Here's what we do know about diet soda in general, though:
- It dulls our sense of taste to natural sweet items such as fruit.
- It has no nutritional value whatsoever.
- It contains citric acid which will erode your teeth over time.
- Drinking 4 or more cans a day can increase your risk for depression.
- It increases your risk of osteoporosis, heart attack, stroke, and headaches.
- It also increases your risk of developing metabolic syndrome and Type II diabetes.
- If you mix it with alcohol you will get drunk much faster.