Most people do not know how often they should wash or replace their bedding. Now that I have creeped you out, here is some help for you:
- Keep your bedroom cool, dark, and low humidity. According to the National Sleep Counsel, the ideal temperature for the bedroom is 65 degrees.
- If you have allergies, keep plants, especially flowering ones out of your bedroom.
- Wash your sheets in hot water and dry in high heat weekly.
- Wash your comforters in hot water and dry in high heat every 3 months, and replace them at least every 5 years.
- Wash pillows in hot water and dry in high heat every 3 months, and replace every 2 years..
- Mattresses should have a protective cover. Vacuum the mattress or steam clean at least twice a year. Mattresses should be replaced at least every 7 years. Avoid the temptation to give it away to your friends and family. Everyone should have a clean mattress that keeps them healthy.
- Curtains should be washed or steamed every 3 months.
- Rugs in your bedroom should be vacuumed weekly and steam cleaned twice a year.
- Be sure to clean the area under your bed at least once a month. There are great furniture sliders that can make it easy to slide your bed from side to side to get a proper cleaning.
- Avoid making your bed for 20 minutes after you get out of it to allow it to cool and reduce humidity.
- Open up windows and allow fresh air into your bedroom when the weather permits.