- Exercise your brain by doing puzzles, varying your routine, playing memory games, and reading.
- Exercise your body with cardiovascular moves such as walking, jogging, biking, swimming, or dancing. These pump blood and oxygen to the brain.
- Make sure your hormone levels are good. The thyroid hormones, in particular, are important to brain health.
- Focus on your diet and be sure you are eating plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables. These provide antioxidants and are vital to your brain health.
- Limit your sugar intake. A high blood sugar can lead to dementia. Alzheimer's disease is now being called Type 3 diabetes.
- Talk to you doctor about taking the following brain-healthy supplements: Coenzyme Q10, Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), Acetyl-L-carnitine, and Omega=3 fatty acids. It is imperative that you talk to your doctor first, as some of these can interact with medications and health conditions (Boyd, C., April/May 2016, Gluten Free and More).