We all know the risks of sun exposure. Too much can wreak havoc on your skin causing burns, premature aging, dark spots, and even cancer. If left unchecked skin cancer can spread and cause death. That is why sunscreen should not be taken lightly (pun intended)!
Here are some tips for staying safe this summer season:
- Put sunscreen on after your shower in the morning, just like you would lotion in the winter months.
- Use a product that you love. My favorites are Aveeno Baby for my face and Coppertone Sport for the rest of my body.
- Use a product with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply sunscreen under make-up, even if your make-up has an SPF.
- Apply liberally and rub in completely.
- The most common areas that we miss are the ears, hairline, behind the knees, hands, and feet.
- Use a spray on the hairline so you don't mess up your hairdo. It also works well on tough to reach places like your back.
- Most damage occurs during everyday exposure to the sun while walking outside or driving in the car. Who knew?
- If you're working, you will need to reapply sunscreen at lunchtime before going out.
- You will need to reapply again before getting in your car to head home at night.
- If you notice any suspicious moles or ones that have gotten bigger, changed shape, or are asymmetrical then see your doctor.
Enjoy the outdoors and the sun but be safe!