· Heart attacks happen earlier and are more life-threatening in women.
· Abdominal fat is more strongly associated with early death in women than in men.
· Type 2 diabetes is a stronger risk factor for stroke in women than in men.
· Women 60+ who have type 2 diabetes also have higher levels of hypertension.
· Exercise can help, but women need to exercise more and at a greater intensity than men to reap the rewards (IDEA Fitness Journal, 2016 March).
Hopefully this motivates you to get out there and get moving! How much exercise is enough? It depends on who you’re talking to. At a minimum you need 2 hours per week of activity. That translates into 20 minutes of exercise on 6 days of the week. On the 7th day you can rest.
Please don’t be a statistic! Take care of your heart and it will take care of you. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go get in a walk.