There are healthy alternatives and these are listed below:
- If your sinus problem is related to a cold or the flu, be sure to get plenty of rest and vitamin C. Bone broths work well here too. We have published an article on bone broths.
- Wash your pillowcase weekly in hot water and use a protective covering underneath (which should also be washed).
- Try a steam for the nasal passages. Fill a bowl with boiling water and some antifungal herbs such as eucalyptus, thyme, or wintergreen. Place the bowl below your head, wrap a towel around everything, and breath in the steam for 10 minutes.
- Dilute eucalyptus or thyme oil with olive oil and dab a bit on a cotton swab. Apply a light layer to your nasal passages at bedtime.
- Eat foods with plenty of garlic and cinnamon in them to kill off the bacteria and fungi that tend to cause stuffiness.
- Try a neti pot. These can be found in most drugstores and look like little teapots. You fill them with warm, distilled water and a salt solution. You then tip the pot up against a nasal passage and let the water flow up one nostril and out the other. I have been using one for years and it helped me to kick my Benadryl habit!