- St. Patrick was a wealthy British teenager that was kidnapped by Irish raiders. He was taken to Ireland and converted to Christianity. He then became a missionary for Ireland. March 17th is the day he died.
- It was believed St. Patrick wore shamrocks because the 3 leaves represented the Holy Trinity.
- There are 34.7 million Americans with Irish ancestry. That's 7 times the population in Ireland.
- Americans started the St. Patrick's Day parade and the eating of corned beef and cabbage. People in Ireland rarely do either one.
- Irish soda bread is made with baking soda instead of yeast.
- Chicago and Boston have two of the largest parades. Boston was the first to have a St. Patrick's Day parade, and Chicago is known for dying the Chicago River green that day.
- Approximately 13 million pints of Guinness beer will be consumed worldwide on St. Patrick's Day.