- Feed your pooch high quality dog food. Avoid giving human food except for the occasional lean animal protein. Foods your dog absolutely cannot eat are onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, tomatoes, chocolate, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, and alcohol. They can make your dog sick or even kill them.
- Make sure your pup is getting plenty of exercise. Some breeds need more than others. A good rule of thumb is to play or walk your dog for 20 to 30 minutes per day. The added benefit is that you are getting exercise as well!
- Provide your dog with good shelter and plenty of love. That includes a comfortable temperature, clean bedding to sleep on, and lots of snuggles. Dogs need companionship!
- Hygiene is also important. Make sure you trim nails monthly, brush longer fur to keep it free of snarls, clean teeth at least once a day, and bathe your baby when they start to stink!
- A yearly veterinary visit is a must. This will keep your pooch up-to-date on shots, You'll also need to give Fido a monthly heartworm pill and potentially some flea treatments during the warmer months.