- It was established in A.D. 500 by the Catholic church in an attempt to shut down the pagan fertility holiday, Lupercalia.
- Those conversation candy hearts will last for 5 years if you let them. Yikes!
- A kiss on this day is believed to bring you good luck for the entire year, so start smooching.
- This is a big holiday for the US economy. It's the second biggest card day of the year (behind Christmas), and over 189,000 long-stem roses are sold on this day. Incidentally, red roses mean love while yellow or pink mean friendship. White roses are for family.
- If you're single on this day there is a "Quirky-alone" movement that you can take party in. Run a search on the internet to see if there is a gathering near you.